Things to do to put one foot in front of the other when you’re going through a crisis, confusion, and hurt:
- Get out of bed. Seriously: there will be some days that if this is all you accomplish, count it a success.
- Get dressed. For those days when getting out of bed seems like a huge success, getting dressed makes you a rock star.
- Pray for others. It might feel like you’re the only one in pain, but reminding yourself of others’ needs, even if they seem minuscule compared to yours, and being willing to pray about them will help your perspective.
- Be intentional about healing. It’s a process. Do one thing each day that sets you up for healing.
- Stop destructive behaviors. It’s easier said than done when you’re in a crisis, but certainly don’t add anything to your habits that you’ll have to undo later. You’ll have enough baggage. Don’t unnecessarily add more.
- Reach out to someone, ideally someone who doesn’t rubber stamp everything you say. You need people who will speak the truth to you, and you need to listen.
- Honor God. Whatever that looks like in your situation. He might prompt you to do something that is not your first choice. It might be difficult. But you won’t regret doing the best thing each step of the way, regardless of how difficult it is.